Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mom is comfortable and happy tonight

I spent the 5-7 and 9-10:30 hours with her and she wanted me to sing, which I did, and she was very happy, remembering lots of good things, telling me repeatedly that I was a very special person and the family will need me to be strong and she loves me so much.  She complained of pain in her head, even her hair follicles hurting, and they treated it when she asked.  She complained less of her bed and stayed more still, and was less bombastic.  Most of what she said seemed completely real and true, with just a few exceptions.

She did comment, "No one has told me yet whether I have cancer" and I took the cop-out approach and said that they're still waiting for test results.

I picked up some pamphlets to read about how to talk with your loved one about cancer, during the break, but hadn't read it yet when she asked that.  The general advice is to be frank and supportive and let them talk about it as much as they want to.  And that the doctor should tell her about the cancer.  I hope he does tomorrow.

I left when they were taking her to a follow-up MRI at 10:30 pm.

She's the favorite on the floor, they say, and she said, "I'm a Treasure.  That's what they told me up on the 8th floor."

She is very unhappy about not getting a shower today and they promised her a sponge bath after her MRI.  She's very eager to see her favorite person tomorrow, the handsome guy with the white beard, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment