Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cherish the Days

Dad said that Mom is feeling well and getting stronger, moving faster with her walker, but started by reaming Dad about something that happened 30 years ago. He said, "Carol, I don't have to sit here and listen to this!" and walked out. He waited in the lobby for about 10 minutes then came back, and she said, "Charlie! I'm so glad to see you!" as though he hadn't been there just a few minutes ago.

The neurosurgeon told Dad, I think last week sometime, that 6 months would be about the longest she will probably live. Dad didn't share that until I said today that I was pressing the James people for answers and some guidance about what to expect. 

That hits hard.  I counted out to February.  And then thought, "She may have already had her last Mother's Day, her last May, her last Spring."  Would I have wanted to know that, if I were in her place?  Would I be able to cherish the days any better if I did know?  Would she have?



No comments:

Post a Comment