Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Question Too Big for Santa Claus

While walking Benji last week on Sunset Boulevard, I was accosted by elves.  They’ve been around the city at the sites of huge billboards promoting the upcoming movie, “Arthur Christmas (Wrap Star)”.  It looks like it could be a fun movie.  The elves were dressed the like the characters on the billboard, with military-style jump suits on, and rolls of wrapping paper crossed on their backs, stocking caps, pointed ears.  They were having fun being silly and drawing attention to themselves, up on the walkway below the billboard, asking for toys for their charity toy drive.  As I walked past below with Benji at 6:15 AM (I believe they have long hours, those elves), one of them yelled down in an exaggerated British accent, “’Ello there!  Have a 'appy Christmas, there, young miss!  And what would you like Santa to bring you?” I stared up, opened my mouth to say something, and found myself speechless.  I had no words for him.  It was a question too big for Santa.  I had no ready answer.  I finally blurted something like, “I haven’t the faintest idea” and moved on, I think.

But as I walked, I pondered the question.  What would it be?  Oh yes, I had my eye on some new knitting needles that I don’t absolutely need, but would like playing with.  A nifty set of circulars with inter-changeable tips.  I had thought about treating myself to them.   But that seemed like the most superficial of questions to ask myself and do at this time.  

What would I want if I could have anything at all in the world?

I’d want an end to my Mother’s suffering, very soon.  And that’s a request way too big for Santa Claus.

2 comments:

  1. From David Miller: I couldn’t agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Chris Richards: I want a Christmas Miracle that gets rid of all the stupid glioblasted cells and restores us the Mom that taught us to string popcorn and cranberries for the tree!

    ReplyDelete