Sunday, October 2, 2011

"I feel so blessed"

Mother is not as well today.  She had an incident when her legs failed her, but Dad was there to catch her until they could get help.

Pastor Wentworth, from their church in Old Washington, came to visit her this evening and prayed with us.  Afterwards, when I'd made the room and her ready for sleep, I cried and cried, and held her hand and told her how I hate to leave and how much I'm going to miss her.  She said she loved me and will miss me too, and, "I feel so blessed to have so many friends and family who have sent me scripture to read."

Dad was having an emotional night, too.  It's not the concern for her, sometimes, it's the harshness of separation that stings and brings the tears.  We know, as she has told us many times, "If I die today, I'll be with Jesus tomorrow in heaven."

Coincidentally, this piece was in the newsletter issued by the condo association where my Ohio property is:

“FOR FRIENDS OF THE AGED”
Blessed are they who understand my faltering step and palsied hand.
Blessed are they who know my ears today must strain to catch the things they say.
Blessed are they who looked away when coffee spilled at table today.
Blessed are they with a cheery smile who stop to chat for a little while.
Blessed are they who never say “you’ve told that story twice today”.
Blessed are they who know the ways to bring back memories of yesterdays.
Blessed are they who make it known that I’m loved, respected and not alone.
Blessed are they who know I’m at a loss to find the strength to carry the Cross.
Blessed are those who ease the days on my journey Home in loving ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment