Monday, January 26, 2009

Honesty Is the Best Policy

As much as I hate to admit it, I lost my wallet on Sunday, at the last stop Rod and I made before arriving in Tucson. I was so sure that I hadn’t done that, though, at first. I remembered taking my wallet to the bathroom with me, thinking, “Now, don’t set this down. Don’t LOSE IT!” The bathroom was abysmal so there was no temptation to set anything down, not even your butt. But somehow my wallet was no longer with me when I wanted to give Drew and Jess the claim ticket for getting Jess’s car out of the Columbus airport valet parking.

The troubleshooting team of me, Drew, Jess and Rod went into action and with the help of Drew’s laptop internet connection, we located the wallet almost immediately. Someone had turned it in at the station and they had it there for me to pick up. Well, I needed to see an apartment (Plan C, remember), and Drew and Jess had a plane to catch in Phoenix, so Rod, very graciously, agreed to go back the hour’s drive for the wallet. I found out later that the woman at the station had even tracked me down using a sticky in my wallet with the Comfort Suites name and confirmation number on it, and left a message on our hotel room voicemail about my missing wallet.

When Rod retrieved it, nothing had been removed, not one of the three fifty dollar bills, and not a single credit card. Now that’s good old fashioned happy honesty.

Again, Arizona had a surprise for me, when we discovered that Drew had left a large framed print behind the seat of the truck, forgetting to tell me that it was there. Rod had turned the truck in for me on Monday, move-in day, and Drew didn’t remember to tell us until Monday evening. But a phone call the next morning put it to rights: Penske had the print and would hold it there for me to pick up. Good old fashioned honesty. How refreshing. Both the wallet and the print would have been goners if we had made these mistakes in Columbus. I think I could get used to this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment