Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Awesome books!

I've been reading everything I can by Susan Vreeland, a novelist who focuses on historic stories about artists and their art.  They're awesome.  I really feel like I want to own them and re-read and re-read.  Her characters are so very real, so true to life, and there are beautifully-expressed bits of wisdom sprinkled through the books as her characters think about the challenges in their lives and how they face them.

See Susan Vreeland's website.

I've read Luncheon of the Boating Party, about a painting by Renoir, Girl in Hyacinth Blue, about a newly-discovered Vermeer (fictional painting), The Passion of Artemisia, my favorite so far, about the now-famous woman painter who was a contemporary of Caravaggio and taught by her father, Orazio Gentileschi.


Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment